It’s that time of year again. Get Your Flu Shot signs everywhere! Nobody likes to get the flu and for some it is down right dangerous, but do we all need a flu shot????
I choose not to get the flu shot because according to the the Centers for Disease Control, most flu vaccines contain mercury in the form of thimerosal, some containing as much as 25mcg per dose – which is more than 250 times above the EPA’s safety limit!
But mercury is just one of the many dangerous substances found in the flu shot more including: aluminum, a neurotoxin, Triton X-100 a common detergent used in laboratories; phenol (carbolic acid): ethylene glycol or antifreeze; betapropiolactone a disinfectant; nonoxynol used to kill or stop growth of STD’s; and octoxinol 9, a vaginal spermicide!
I work SO hard to eat organic, fresh and non-toxic food, why would I put all that in my body???
I’ll say this, last year was a bad flu season that lasted well into the spring of 2019, so what to expect this year?
How Do They Determine the Flu Shot?
There are two types of vaccines, Therapeutic (cancer, metabolic disorders, chronic illnesses, and infectious diseases), and Preventable human vaccines markets (pediatric vaccinations, flu shots) that are estimated to reach $55 billion worldwide! Vaccines are BIG business, and that is important to understand.
Have you noticed how every year there are dire warnings to get your flu shot? There are 16 different types of HA and 9 different types of NA, therefore, there are potentially 144 different subtypes of influenza A viruses. Among them, two subtypes of influenza A, H1N1 and H3N2 are the most common ones that infect humans.
Each year the FDA meets to determine which strains will go into the vaccine based on recommendations from the World Health Organization. Sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. In an interview with CNBC, John Shiver, global head of research and development at Sanofi Pasteur, which produces the bulk of flu vaccines in the U.S. stated: “There’s a lot of good methodology, but it’s not foolproof, so some years are better than others.”
The theory behind the flu vaccine is the exposure to vaccine antigens increases the antibody response in the immune system. Unfortunately, flu viruses are constantly mutating in order to survive and if you’re depending on the flu shot to prevent the flu, it’s a crap shoot.
What I Do Instead
First, I focus on eating “clean” the majority of the time. That means less alcohol, lowered sugar intake and keeping my food intolerances to a minimum (I’m intolerant to gluten, dairy and lectins) as these foods cause inflammation and lower the immune system. My diet is high in vegetables, moderate fruit and clean proteins. (Want to spend 10 days with me getting yourself prepped for the flu season? Join my 10 Day Detox in October).
Have you ever heard of Homeopathic Medicine?
Homeopathy is a medical system based on the belief that the body can cure itself. Those who practice it use tiny amounts of natural substances, like plants and minerals. They believe these stimulate the healing process. It was developed in the late 1700s in Germany. The Queen of England has a homeopathic doctor!!
Every year we get a homeopathic “Flu Shot” It is developed similar to the flu shot by looking at what the active strain is for 2019-2020. For example, one preparation contains the homeopathic dilution of the current influenza virus amongst other things, such as a combination of previous flu virus potencies. For a great read on Homeopathic’s Go Here…
Along With That Here is Our Protection Plan
1. Vitamin D – if you don’t take one start now. If you do take one, increase to 5,000IU daily through the winter months unless immune compromised then increase to 10,000IU.
2. Probiotics – eighty percent of your immune system is located in your gut. “Clean eating” by lowering the chemicals coming into your body is #1. Secondly, adding “pre-biotics” to your diet can improve the growing grounds for your good bacteria. Fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi and kombucha are great sources. During the flu season add in a daily pro-biotic to assure the good guys are winning! This is my favorite probiotic Floratrex with 23 different strains of bacteria.
3. Vitamin C – I did an extensive blog on this recently so I won’t go into detail. I take a “threshold control” vitamin C at 250mg three times per day, that way I have a constant supply of vitamin C on board.
4. Garlic – Garlic is an amazing plant, anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and you can eat it every day! The other option is to take a garlic supplement and we keep Kyolic Immune Formula 103 on hand. You can find this at most natural food sections of grocery stores, Whole Foods, Natural Grocers or on-line. First sign of anything and we start taking garlic three times a day, but you can also take it daily as prevention.
5. Multivitamin/mineral/Omega 3’s – We take a broad spectrum vitamin/mineral supplement along with an Omega 3 fish oil as a foundation for our health plan. This doesn’t change during the cold and flu season.
What If I Do Get the Flu?
1. Garlic – increase your garlic to 2, three times per day
2. Oregano Oil – this is a natural anti-biotic, full of antioxidants, anti-fungal and anti-parasitic. Great to have around during the cold and flu season. Her is my top pick Oregatrex is made using organic mediterranean oregano oil, extra virgin olive oil, organic peppermint oil and cayenne oil, super immune boost!
3. Zinc – It has been estimated that over 3,000 proteins in humans have functional zinc-binding sites and 50 different enzymes depend on zinc for them to function. Your multi-vitamin should have zinc in it but when hit with the flu have a zinc supplement on hand. Look for a “chelated” zinc and take as much as 100mg per day for up to two weeks. (Do not take this dosage for longer than two weeks).
4. Herbal Support – Echinacea, Golden Seal, Astragalus, Ginger and Medicinal Mushrooms all are powerful herbs to support immune system. Make sure and get these from a reputable store as herbs can be highly contaminated with metals and pesticides. I love this site many organic herbs you can add to food)
5. Essential Oils – I would be remiss if I didn’t mention essential oils. They have been used for thousands of years to heal the body. One of the most powerful is Frankincense. I always have some of these around in my natural pharmacy. This is where I get my Essential Oils or the link above under herbal support. I always look for organic oils.
6. Fasting – often you don’t feel like eating anyway but it doesn’t hurt to water fast during the flu. This gives the body its full attention on fighting the virus, not having to digest. If you want something easy to digest try Kettle & Fire Bone Broth, loaded with protein but easy to digest. (Available at most grocery stores).
7. Fever – let the fever run its course unless it gets over 102. This is your bodies way of killing the virus. Hyperthermia is being used to kill cancer cells that’s how powerful it is!
WOW!! I know, this is a lot of information! I want you to keep this email and refer back to it. Start building your natural pharmacy now, so if or when you get a cold or flu, you have your tool box ready!!
Here’s to a super healthy fall and winter 2019-2020!
P.S. Don’t forget to join our 10 Day Detox to boost that immune system before the holiday’s!